Antville’s list of the best videos of the decade, no doubt a precursor to many “of the decade” lists over the next two months, is a good one. I don’t have too many complaints about the picks themselves, though I would contest their placement. For what it’s worth, this would have been my number one selection.
In trying to remember what videos I enjoyed this decade that weren’t on the list I turned to two places: my YouTube favourites, and my delicious bookmarks. The YouTube favourites were mostly a bust as they were almost entirely made up of old 80s and early 90s videos that were suffixed with the all-too-common Video is no longer available mark. delicious proved more fruitful as the video + music tag intersection gave me a pretty good zeitgeist for most of the decade. I say that having just realized that as of next month I’ve been a delicious user for six years, so it’s a pretty good indicator for most of my tastes through the decade.
What follows is a list of all the music videos that I bookmarked there over those years that aren’t already on antville’s top 100. Some were chosen for the video itself, some for the music, and others for weird cultural reasons (ie. mostly videogame and/or internet meme-ry).
- Ladytron – Destroy Everything That You Touch – love the band and the video, so I was surprised to not see this listed.
- Massive Attack – Live With me – same for this.
- Alva Noto – Unitxt – embeded below
- Kap Bambino – Red Sign
- Holy Fuck – Milkshake
- Clark – Ted
- Portishead – Machine Gun
- Dresden Dolls – Girl Anachronism
- Beck – Black Tambourine
- Bomb the Bass – Butterfingers
- Fujiya & Miyagi – Ankle Injuries
- Weezer – Pork and Beans
- Kompakt – I’m in Love With a German Film Star
- dan le sac VS scroobius pip – Thou Shalt always Kill
- Bjork – Declare Independence
- Ye-Ye – Eurostar
- Halfby – Screw the Plan
- Cadence Weapon – Sharks
- DJ Shadow – This Time
- Dublab – Poison Diamonds
- Dealership – Forest
- David E. Sugar vs Ears – First OK